Renewal Registrations Begin August 1
The CTEC 2019/2020 renewal registration cycle starts August 1, 2019 and ends October 31, 2019.
How do I renew online?
To renew online, click here and follow the prompts. To renew, you must have:
• Basic personal information.
• Current bond information and bond certificate. If your bond information is current, you are not required to upload your current bond again. If your bond is expired, you must update your bond information and upload a copy of your new bond.
• 20 hours of continuing education (10 hours of federal tax law, 3 hours of federal tax law updates, 2 hours of ethics and 5 hours of state) already uploaded into the CTEC database by your education provider.
• A renewed IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
• Visa/Debit or MasterCard/Debit to pay the $33 registration fee.
How do I renew by mail?
To renew by mail, you must have:
• A copy of your bond showing the current expiration date.
• Copy of education completion certificate(s).
• A renewed IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) approval letter.
• Completed 2019/2020 renewal application found on ctec.org.
• Personal check, cashier’s check or money order for $33 made payable to CTEC.
• Mail all information, to CTEC (P.O. Box 2890, Sacramento, CA 95812-2890) postmarked by October 31, 2019.
CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTPs) will get a CTEC Certificate of Compliance by mail within four to six weeks of approval. If any of the above documents are missing, your application will be sent back. If your application is postmarked by October 31st, but is returned to you due to missing information, you will be required to pay the $55 late fee. CTEC certificates must be made visible to taxpayers at your primary place of business!
AVOID THIS MISTAKE!
Last year many CRTPs logged into their account, however, instead of following the renewal steps, they “reprinted” their CTEC certificate for $10 and thought they registered. Renewals can only be completed by following the above steps and paying the $33 registration fee! No exceptions.
What if my education has not been reported?
To renew online, all of your education must have been electronically reported to CTEC by your education provider. If your education is not showing in your CTEC account, call your education provider(s) and have them upload the hours electronically into the CTEC database.
CTEC staff does not upload education. If you took education at an IRS Forum or through an IRS webinar, and the education is not showing in your account, call the CTEC office.
Remember, CTEC policy allows education providers to submit education to CTEC 30 business days between January 16 and June 30, and within 10 business days between July 1 and January 15, from the date the education was completed.
I just applied for my EA on Oct 7 2019. Do I need to renew my CTEC in order to prepare taxes in January 2020? I've heard it takes up to 90 days to get my EA number which would make it mid January.
can get copy on my ptin